Monday, February 9, 2015

Nature’s Trail Discovery Run III: Trail Running



Nature’s Trail Discovery Run III: Trail Running

Date: January 11, 2015
Activity: Nature’s Trail Discovery Run III Leg 3
Location: Sitio San Andres, Bgy. Cuyambay, Tanay, Rizal


   Months before the race, I have already decided that I will run on this 3rd leg of NTDR III to complete the trilogy. However, due to lack of training on the last quarter of 2014, I had difficulty deciding which category to join. Will it be 10k or 21k category since I already survived a grueling 21k distance on the 2nd leg at Mt. Sembrano? Then  finally, around 3 weeks before the event, I decided to downgrade to 10k category for my own safety. The only goal now that I have in mind is just to complete the trilogy, safe. Though I’ve registered already on the 10k category, still I can’t focus on training due to some career stuffs that I need to prioritized. I’m only doing 10k road training twice a week as a maximum.

   Then the day of the event comes. Woke-up early and ride on a motorbike from Taguig to Tanay on a very cold 2 o’clock morning with my sister Angie. The energy is high but keeps on praying for guidance and safe finish.

   We arrive at the site right just before the 21k category was released. Had some pictures first at the starting point and prepare and warmed ourselves as we are the next category to be released heading the pitch dark mountain of San Andres.




   There are approximately 60 10k runners on that morning. I am aiming to be belong to at least top 10 finishers since I got top 12 on the 1st leg which I also run the 10k category.

   After the starting pistol was fired, I found myself running at the pole position on the first 2 kilometers, but as the steeper ascend started, I was slowly overtaken by the stronger runners. The terrain is not so steep like the Mt. Sembrano trail but still has its own challenge. The gradually ascending slippery and a little bit loamy terrain made more difficult to climb because of the early morning drizzle. So I decided not to push myself in catching-up the stronger runners that overtaken me because it might burn me out and its more difficult descending this type of terrain having weak legs.





So I ran in interval with easy and hard running until I reached the u-turn point. Reload my water bottle with the available cold water at the u-turn point. While reloading, the marshal informed me that I was the 4th 10k runner who reached the u-turn. There are 2 men and a woman. After hearing that, the adrenaline pumped-up again after I realized that I still have the chance to be in podium finish for the men category. About 500 meters from the u-turn, I met the 4th man who could be the podium finisher if I got overtaken so I ran harder descending to the finish line even with a little bit of aching muscle.

   Then I finally reached the finish line with nobody overtaken me, and it’s very nice to hear for the first time announcing my bib number to be awarded as the 3rd place finisher for 10k men’s category.




   I got these freebies from different sponsors for being a finisher and a 3rd place finisher.



   I also got this certificate for completing the trilogy. 



   The major sponsors: Merrell, Lightwater, Megafiber and Bodivance



I also took the chance to have some pictures with these champions which I admire for their competitiveness especially in trail running. 





   I’ve heard that this is the last event by Pimco but still looking forward to run on the trails of Tanay under the new organization of Mr. Alvin Balderama.

  Mr. Alvin promised to show us more of the beauty of Tanay Mountains, so until then. Thank you for sparing your time in visiting the page and see you on the trail soon……





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comments Here: